Wednesday, April 15, 2009

A Little Creativity

When you have 2 precious babies who are so close in age, sometime a little creativity is needed!!

Today while Wesleigh was napping, Ethan was hanging out with mommy! He laid in the middle of the living room floor for at least an hour!! It was so wonderful. You see, when Wesleigh was a baby, he lived on the floor. I hardly used the bouncy seat and the swing and other contraptions to hold him, just because I thought floor time was good for him. Well, that doesn't work for sweet little Ethan, because he would likely have 2 broken arms, 2 broken legs, 1 broken back, and a fractured skull, as well as 2 missing eyes, and various items that don't belong shoved down his throat!!! We came close to the fractured skull (not really) the day that Daddy left Ethan on the floor while Wesleigh was around and Wesleigh threw his sippy cup (as he often does, being the crazy little boy he is) and it hit Ethan on the forehead!! Thank GOD it was empty, but it still left a bruise and he screamed and screamed!!! Poor baby! Wesleigh also thinks that arms and legs are made to be removed. He also likes to "point" at Ethan's eyes and say "eye". However to be fair I must point out that Wesleigh's "pointing" at Ethans eye includes poking his eye, usually both of them! Ethan is such a good sport, he just puts up with him. I have also caught Wesleigh trying to "share" his snack with his brother. He was trying very hard to force a KIX into his mouth one day!! I told him it was kind of him to try and "share", but his brother isn't quite ready for KIX just yet! So, all that to say, that due to Wesleigh's innocent curiousity, rough little boy nature, and 16 month old clumbsyness, it is IMPOSSIBLE to let Ethan hang out on the floor when his sweet big brother is around.
So, back to my story. Ethan was chillin' on the floor while mama was folding clothes and Wesleigh was sweetly tucked into bed! He played on his back for a long time, just talking and wiggling, until I flipped him over onto his tummy for a little tummy time. He usually gets mad, but just continued to play and lift his head and look around. Well, about 15 minutes later, Wesleigh was calling that naptime was over, so I went and got him up. I took him in the nursery and changed his diaper, we talked to Nana on the phone, and I was tidying up and refilling the diaper basket. About another 15 minutes went by and Ethan had fallen sound asleep in the middle of the living room floor on his tummy! What a tummy time slacker!!
Daddy came home and we were just hanging out in the living room and Wesleigh almost fell into the middle of Ethan a number of times. I didn't want to move him, because I knew he would wake up, so this was my solution...

It worked well!! Sometimes you just have to be creative!! Ethan was able to safely finish his nap!!

In other news, last night I was talking to Ethan and just being super silly with him and he totally laughed out loud!! It was freakin' adorable! He did it twice before it gave him the hiccups!! Wesleigh used to get the hiccups evertime he laughed until he was at least 10 months old!! Poor little Ethan appears to have the same problem! Little does he know, it doesn't keep us from making him laugh! That sweet little sound is still ringing in my ears and I can't wait for the next one!!

As I sit here typing this, Wesleigh just discovered that you can put an easter egg in the ball popper and it actually pops out!!! He puts a lot of things other than the balls in it, and it never pops out, so when he put the egg in there and it actually came out, you should have seen the suprised joy on his face!! Too cute!

Every night as a part of our bedtime routine, we cuddle, read 1 book, then sing a few songs to Wesleigh. The songs always include the Itsy Bitsy Spider, and Jesus Loves Me. He loves to sing along and has even learned to say Jesus. It melts my heart to hear my 16 month old say Jesus.
It is so precious and so wonderful to have the little guy calm down and be still with you for a few minutes after his crazy, nonstop days!!
This is Jim and Wesleigh singling a few nights ago! So sweet!

4 comments:

Db & Em said...

WAY TO FUNNY!! I will have to remember that one. Malachi loves to bug Harley so I can only imagine what it is going to be like with his brother or sister.

Jaime said...

Can I copy and paste your first paragraph into my blog! lol j/k It sounds just like our house! Carbon copy! I'm going to have to remember the laundry basket trick!

Michelle said...

I love it! Just wait until Wesleigh is old enough to taunt Ethan by saying that y'll caged him as a baby. :)

Momma Bear said...

AWESOME I love it!!

i tell ya we mommas have to stay ontop of our game and necessity is the mother of creativity-you go momma!