Friday, October 31, 2008

Our Road Trip


Well, on Tuesday, October 14th Wesleigh and I loaded up and set off on a road trip across Texas!! Yay for Texas. I am such a Texan....don't take this Texan out of Texas!! I love it and that is where I belong!!!
Day One
We traveled from Carlsbad to Lamesa, Texas. Just in case you have never heard of Lamesa, it is a small town in the middle of no where West Texas. But, it is home to a dear friend from graduate school. Ky and her husband Lee live there, where they grew up and they love it!! They had a ball meeting and playing with Wesleigh. They are eagerly awaiting God's perfect timing to grow their family, so in the meantime they really enjoyed loving on my sweet little boy!! It was so great to spend some time with them. They were very gracious to us while we were there, I only wish we could have stayed a little longer!! I do believe that Wesleigh may have showed them just how NOT childproof their house is, and that when God does send that precious baby their way, that they have a LOT of changes to make in the house!!! He was into EVERYTHING!!! That's my boy!!

Day Two
Well, this was to be our longest day in the car throughout the whole trip. We were traveling from Lamesa to Plano. It took us right at 6 hours. 6 hours of driving through West Texas....which translates into a lot of NOTHING except for small towns and many wind generators. Wesleigh was a total trooper! He was amazing in the car. He doesn't sleep for very long at a time in the car, so he mostly played with his toys. I stock the passenger seat with many many toys and when he gets tired of one and chunks it between the car seat and the door, then I pass him a new one. He also ate MANY crackers, lets just say that turning around backwards and handing your child stuff in the backseat is an aquired art....all you mommies out there know what I am talking about!! So, between short naps, crackers, juice, and milk, the miles passed and eventually started getting closer and closer to civilization!! About 30 minutes before we got to our final destination my boy had a TOTAL meltdown, so I busted out the VBS song CD from this summer's Power Lab VBS and cranked the radio up VERY LOUD and he loved it!! It kept him calm until we got there. We were going to visit my friend's Garrick and Michelle and their two kids, Jackson and Caroline. Garrick and Michelle came to FBC Beeville, my senior year in high school. I was working at the church for a few hours a day, so we got to be friends and it is a friendship that has hung on over the years!! When I was in college I went to visit them a lot, at the time they were in East Texas, but a few moves later, now they are in Plano, until God sends them somewhere else. So, we stayed with them from Wednesday until after lunch on Sunday. We shopped too much!! Gotta love those outlet malls, we ate out a lot...so many choices to choose from, we waited 3 hours to eat at Uncle Julios!! We used to drive 3 hours to eat at Uncle Julios, so I guess there is really no difference!! We just had a really good time catching up and they got to meet Wesleigh. Their little girl Caroline, was pretty much fully potty trained when Wesleigh and I arrived, however when we left it was a different story. Her response to having a baby in the house was to regress!! I'm so sorry!!! Hopefully she is all back to her normal big girl business now!! :-) Thank you all so much for your hospitality and letting us hang out with your wonderful family!!
Day Six
So, on Sunday we loaded back up in the car and headed south. Our destination was Belton! We were headed to stay with my adopted family from college, Mike and J'Net!! They too had never met Wesleigh, so it was great to introduce them to him. Their home was VERY different than it used to be. Before when I hung out with them, it was grand central station with their 4 kids in and out! But, as kids seem to do, they've grown up!! Their oldest daughter is in Nashville attending school and anxiously planning her wedding for January. Their oldest son is in the Air Force and loving it!! Their youngest daughter is currently tryin to find herself in this crazy world. And, the baby of the family is a sophomore in high school. So, needless to say, their house was MUCH quieter than it used to be!! It was great to visit with them and give them an opportunity to love on my sweet boy!! Wesleigh was totally obsessed with the dog bed, and he was very pleased with himself when J'Net and I both turned our backs long enough for him to finally get his hands on the massive bowl of candy corns in the middle of the coffee table!! Little stinker!!

Move over Daisy...I'm comin' in!

Finally....the dog moved, and I have it all to myself!!!

Day Seven
Wesleigh and I were once again headed south, but not before we stopped on campus at UMHB. Wow, how that place has changed! Hundreds of Thousands of dollars has gone into many many many new buildings since I was there!! It is a completely different place. I was able to track down Dr. L, who meant the world to me while I was there. We were able to visit for a few minutes. He said that the look of the campus isn't the only thing that has changed, unfortunately!! It was great to drive through campus and see him, then Wesleigh and I were in the car, destination Nana and Grandpa's house!!! We made a little pit stop in San Marcus and did a little Christmas shopping at the outlet malls there!! Then, we finally arrived at Nana and Grandpa's house! They wouldn't be home until the next day, but we were just glad to be to one of our homes away from home!!!

So. that was our road trip....between Carlsbad and Beeville our road trip covered just over 900 miles and Wesleigh was a total trooper! Oh and get this...when we left Carlsbad, the cheapest gas was $3.29....as we went along it got a little cheaper. In Plano I was happy to find it for $2.61....in Belton it was $2.45.....then in Beeville it was cheapest of all, and it was $1.89!!! Woohoo...NEVER thought we would see the ones again!! Now, I am back in Carlsbad and it is $2.80!! How rediculous!!

The return trip from this adventure was an adventure of it's own....

2 comments:

The Shillingburg's said...

So what did Dr. L mean by "campus wasn't the only thing that had changed."

Anonymous said...

Lee & I loved having you and Wesleigh visit. I wish that I did not have to go to work and we could have spent more time together. It was great to hear about J'Net and Mike's family as well. I think about them from time to time and I can't believe how things have changed in the 4 years since graduate school. - Ky