Friday, October 31, 2008

Scarlet Fever.....

Poor sweet Wesleigh started running fever late Tuesday afternoon...we are talking 102 and 103. I was able to make a doctor's appointment the next morning with his pediatrician in San Antonio, where we would be traveling through anyway! But, first we had to make it through Tuesday night. The poor boy was miserable. He went to bed ok, doped up on Motrin, but just before midnight he was up and miserable!! I sat and rocked him for a while, I was tired, but thinking about all the driving the next day, I decided to take my mom up on her offer to sit with him for a little while. So, Nana rocked him for about 30-40 minutes, until he decided that Nana is nice, but he wanted his mommy. So, I tried to put him in bed with me, that didn't work, so we rocked some more....He was just so restless. I decided about 3 am to give him a bath. We took a long hot bath in a very warm bathroom...after about 30 minutes of that he started rubbing his eyes. I got him out and dressed, then I rocked him for about 10 minutes and he was out!!! I was able to lay him down around 3:45 AM and I climbed back into bed...hoping and praying that we could both get some rest.
This is when Ethan decided it was time to play! He was bouncing off the walls!! Thank goodness it is still pretty easy to ignore him....it won't be so easy before too long!!
So, after not a lot of sleep we were off to the doctor in San Antonio. Turns out he has Scarlet Fever...which is basically Strep Throat with a rash. He was give Augmentin, an antibiotic which he has to take twice a day for ten days!!!

So...the fact that we had strep throat, which is highly contagious, kind of threw a wrench in our travel plans. We were suppossed to travel it San Angelo to stay with Ma for the night, before we came on to Carlsbad on Thursday. Jim and I didn't think it was a very good idea to expose Ma to Strep Throat, so I had to cancel on her. I know she was very disappointed, but she doesn't need to get Strep!! So, then I was going to travel to Del Rio for the night, but eventually talked myself out of that as well. It is not like I would even get to visit with friends, b/c I can't take my sick baby to visit!! So, I finally decided just to head toward Carlsbad and if we made it all the way, WONDERFUL, but if we needed to stop, Nana said she would help us pay for a hotel room if we needed it. Turned out, we made the 500 mile trip with only 2 stops. Wesleigh was a trooper and slept more than he normally does in the car because he didn't feel good. We pulled into Carlsbad around 7:15 Texas time, which was 6:15 in New Mexico.

Needless to say, I was exhausted. I took a shower, then a nap on the couch while Daddy and Wesleigh caught up. Then, I put Wesleigh down at 8:30 and I was in bed by 8:35. Amazingly we slept until 8:30 the next morning!!

Yay for antibiotics!! They have made my boy feel better!! He is doing so well, and almost back to his normal self!!

No comments: