Monday, November 17, 2008

Small Steps Toward Becoming a Human...I mean Little Boy!!!

Everyday it seems Wesleigh is doing something new. Many of those new achievements are the types of things that only a mommy would get excited about, but they are all things that are helping him to grow up and eventually be a functioning member of society someday!! And, others of which just make him a bonafied little boy!!! I've always laughed because at some point for me, babies seem to transform into humans. You know what I mean? When they start doing things that the rest of human beings do? For so long as needy babies, they seem very unhuman at times! All that to say, I can already see some signs of human life in my little fella!! :-)

- A few weeks back, while playing with John Deere tractors at my parent's house, Wesleigh started "driving" the tractors while crawling along and making "vroom, vroom" sounds! First time my mom and I saw it, we couldn't believe it!! It must just be built into little boys to know how to do!!
- Somewhere along the way, Wesleigh learned how to use a fork. Well, partially anyway! We stab something onto the fork, hand it to him, he puts it in his mouth, then he hands the fork back to us, so that we can reload and start over!! It is awesome!! In fact if we eat something that doesn't require a fork, he looks at us like we are crazy!! We had pizza the other night for dinner and he wasn't impressed!!
- When he finds a sock or a shoe laying around, he will stop and hold it up to his foot, like he wants to put it on. He knows that they go on his foot, he just can't quite finger out how to get the logistics of getting it on right!!
- When we are getting dressed, Wesleigh has learned to push his arm through his sleeve!!! It is awesome!! He actually helps to get his arm in the hole, then he pushes it through, and when his hand comes out the other end, he just sits there and stares at it like...wow...where did you come from!!! It is so cute, and wonderful!! He will also pull his shirt off of his head after you take his arms out of it!
- Along with getting dressed and undressed when you want him to, he has learned to undress himself whenever he feels like it. Particularly when he is in his room, suppossedly sleeping!!!! You see, it all started about a month ago, I went to get him out of his bed after nap and he didn't have a diaper on!!!!! That was quite a shock for me, so...from that point on, I instituited a very strict rule that he is NEVER allowed to go to bed without pants of some kind on. So...I thought I had out smarted him and that I would prevent any kind of lovely diaper mess spread throughout the crib. Well, when we were visiting friends in Dallas, I went to get him up from nap and he had taken his sweat pants off...thankfully he had left the diaper on! Since then, he has become OBSESSED with taking his socks off, so every morning you never know how many cold toes you will find when you get him up!! Then, today, Jim got him out of bed after nap so we could head to the zoo, he walks out here and says...Mama where are his pants?? I said he is wearing them...and he said...no he isn't. So, he had taken his khaki pants off in his sleep. We really really really got lucky this time, b/c he left his poopy diaper on!! That my friends was a near disaster!!!
- He has also started following simple commands! The one that he follows the best is when I tell him to go get his drink/cup. He immediately knows what I am talking about. He starts looking all around until he sees it, then he crawls over to it and goes to town drinking it!! If he is getting into something that he shouldn't, you can tell him no, but then, you kind of sternly have to say NOW and he will finally listen and stop doing it! Now...that's not to say he won't be right back into the middle of it in the next 20 seconds, but we are at least listening!!!
I'm sure that there are many other little things that he does that make me super proud and that makes him one step closer to being a sweet little boy, but these are the ones that jump out at me at the moment!!

3 comments:

Jaime said...

Don't you love watching them change everyday!

Anonymous said...

I loved reading about Wesleigh and all he has learned recently!
Love
Gran

ArmyforChrist said...

I noticed the same thing with John. The minute he saw anything resembling a car/truck, he made the "vroom vroom" noise! I really do think it's a boy thing! I love that you keep track of all the new developments! It's fun reading about them.